Tournament Rundown - OTB Open
Round 1: The first round of the OTB Open was the Eagle McMahon Show. He shot a bogey free13 under the first ever day of organized play at Swanson Park DGC and 2 shots better than the next closest player. Simon Lizotte's first round back since playing in the 2020 USDGC was one of the big storylines coming into the tournament and he didn't disappoint. Despite looking like he took something off of his shot his touch and placement set him up well most of the day. He notched a 5 under round which tied his for 18th going into the rest of the weekend.
Round 2: Round 2 saw everyone seem to settle into the course and play better than they otherwise did in the first round. Calvin Heimburg used a hole in one on 15th hole to tie for the best round on the day at 11 under. Tied with him was little talked about Aaron Gossage who managed to avoid trouble through the first two rounds thus far. McMahon was able to stay out in front of the crowd with his 10 under and Anthony Barela kept pace with the same.
Round 3: The final round saw James Conrad make a run for the top but just couldn't close the gap that Eagle opened the first day. Conrad, Heimburg, Adam Hammes and Ezra Aderhold all put together 11 under rounds on Sunday but none of them were close enough to McMahon coming into the day to make a run of it. Despite this there was some jockeying for position throughout the day. Barela managed to jump up and tie with James Conrad for 2nd, Heimburg leap frogged Paul McBeth to tie with Ricky Wysocki for 4th and Ezra Aderhold climbed up 31 spots to finish tied for 15th with his phenomenal round.
- In the first tournament back since the 2020 USDGC Simon Lizotte took home solo 13th. While not the glitz of a podium finish he continued to player better in ever round as the weekend progressed. Hopefully we continue to see him progress, with his new play style, thought the rest of the season.
- Eagle McMahon managed to only have 2 bogeys the entire tournament. The first one coming on the par 3 10th in the second round and in the third round on the par 4 18th, the last hole of the entire tournament.
- On a course that emphasized OB and water hazards Aaron Gossage managed to have not found either going into the final round. However, the lead card spotlight seemed to prove too much for him. He went OB on the par 4 3rd and par 3 15th while ultimately settling for a 7th place finish.
- Despite coming into the final round tied for 14th, Brodie Smith continues to struggle putting together an entire tournament. He only managed to shoot 1 under on the final day which dropped him into a tie for 26th. That said, when he puts it all together he will be one of the players to watch on tour.
- With Calvin Heimburg’s 4th place finish he has now finished in the top 5 in 13 straight events he has appeared in. That is a record for the UDisc era.
"The Usual Suspects" finishes:
- Adam Hammes: T9
- Drew Gibson: T15
- Simon Lizotte: 13th
- Anthony Barela: T2
- Eagle McMahon: 1st
- Nikko Locastro: T9
Leave a comment